Past Project 1 – Laumeier Sculpture Park Research and Survey Tool Design
- Need: The organization had a collection of surveys and educational activity data from a handful of years that needed to be analyzed in order to better understand the end user.
- Process: Boxes of artifacts were examined and information directly relating to the analysis were pulled. Findings were recorded on an Excel spreadsheet. Additionally, Census statistics and comparable museum classes were researched to narrow down demographic need.
- Findings: There was a lot of great information in surveys and class participation statistics, as well as information found regarding the demographics of the end user. However, there wasn’t one uniform tool to evaluate the general end user experience.
- Solution: The findings were presented in a PowerPoint presentation using graphs and performance numbers. In keeping the grant guidelines for this project. I also wrote several small course packs matching trends and need. A survey tool was designed to create a more uniform way to gather future statistics.
Past Project 2 – STLUX Event Contest (Ad and Copy)
As part of my class participation for CoderGirl at LaunchCode, I completed an Instagram ad and copy sample for the 2017 STLX Conference.
The goal of the design was to use the branded “X” concept to point directly to the logo in the middle of the ad, while presenting copy that could drive ticket sales forward.
Note: As of August 23, 2017, the winners of the contest have not been announced.
Past Project 3 – Website Usability Test
- Need: During the updating process of this website, I decided to focus on simplicity and usability, while experimenting with UX concepts. Thus, I needed to choose a simple task that could be easily tested in an informal situation and chose to focus the test on how easy it was to search the site.
- Process: After extensive research and quick trials, a WordPress template was located that featured a search bar on the upper right-hand side to reflect traditional UX design principles. Once the basic design was stabilized, the test was posted to Facebook and a novice user of web searches was utilized to formulate the instructions.
- Challenges: Being the website was still under construction, it was necessary to update the instructional screenshot on Facebook in order to assure that users would see exactly what they needed to proceed. Also, I had to make some minor tweaks to the instructions, as we proceeded. Thus, this was an informal test.
- Findings: The small sampling of users found the site easy to search. Some of the comments received were:
- “… Twas quite easy”
- “Good work!”
- “Done … It was real quick.”
- “Did it. It worked just fine.”
- “done … enjoyed the photo gallery.”
Need: Mr. Stacky needed to determine the usability and reception of a gardening planter they were considering selling.
- Process: I assembled the product, but changed the photographic presentation from its typical purpose (as a downspout planter) to a mailbox planter. Then, I posted a photo to Facebook for our followers that requested they provide “like or dislike” feedback.
- Findings: The post was a 330% of the average reach. While we are still determining how we can repeat this exposure level, our users provided feedback that was helpful in determining the potential viability of the product.
In Process Projects:
Project 1 – Business Idea Brainstorming
Assisting a small business owner in exploring an idea that is in the developmental stages. Designed a website wireframe and wrote concept copy as the first iteration. The next step will be research of industry trends and audience need.
Project 2 – Product Idea & Wireframe
Through direct exploration of a product, I identified a need and developed the first iteration (via a wireframe) of a supporting product idea that will enhance the end user experience. Currently, we are in the research phase of material choices and availability.